Forsyth Street facing East from Cotton Avenue ca 1905-1910
(Forsyth dead ended at Cotton Avenue until 1937)
Forsyth Street Facing East - The view from Cotton Avenue after 1908. The three-story, granite Bank of Commerce, on the left, was built by Johnson & Harrold as a U.S. Post Office and completed in 1892. Substantial remodelings in 1937 and 1961 drastically changed its outward appearance even though it is the original structure. The building next to it was Rembert's Drug Store, later the site of the Martin Theater. J.T. Cotney erected the two-story brick building, on the right, in 1908.
Back to the Index to Collection of Late 1800's and Early 1900's Sumter County Scenes
Back to Photo Album Section
Back to HomePage